Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander online language database
AUSTLANG is the first online database to provide wide-ranging access to information on Australian Indigenous languages. The dynamic web-based features make it possible to search for Australian Indigenous languages by language name, place name or by navigating Australia through Google Maps.
The Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander Studies (AIATSIS) is the world’s premier institution for information and research about the cultures and lifestyles of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples — past and present.
In addition to research facilities, the Institute houses
community outreach and family history services, major
archival collections, an extensive public library and a
publishing program, Aboriginal Studies Press.
AUSTLANG can be used as a:
• research and resource discovery tool for Indigenous
people and researchers;
• teaching aid for teachers;
• tool to help school children with projects on Indigenous
• resource for non-Indigenous people and tourists who
want to learn more about the traditional owners of
• guide to Indigenous language names for archives and
- AUSTLANG brochure (773.8 kB) application/pdf
Ms Eleanor Galvin
Senior Reference Librarian
- +61 (02) 6246 1182
- +61 (02) 6261 4287