Das Neumann Haus Museum
Hermann Neumann migrated from Germany with his parents and brothers in 1884. He met and married Annie Schermuly in Ipswich in 1885. Annie was of English and German descent and had left England to come to Australia on a working holiday (she was the ship's interpreter). Hermann and a brother had a furniture business in Ipswich, Queensland. In 1893 Hermann, Annie and their three sons, moved to Laidley and Hermann proceeded to set up his family furniture business. He started to build the family residence, showroom and two storey workshop in 1893. His main emphasis was on the business, so the house was added to many times over the years. The showroom was accessible through folding french doors - open during the day so Annie could keep an eye on the shop whilst tending to the needs of her five children (two daughters born after moving to Laidley) and closed at night for privacy. Hermann's hobbies were making church furniture (still in local churches), grandfather clocks and violins. All the family was involved in musical and other cultural pursuits and local children were taught violin and piano by family members. Violins made by Hermann are still owned by previous pupils. The house is situated in the heart of the township of Laidley and in the early part of the last century was considered the cultural hub of the community. Settlers, coming into Laidley to do their shopping of bringing in their produce or wares to market, often called into the Neumann's for a cuppa, a sample of Annie's cooking and a chat.
A house museum with a well documented family and social history written by Florence, daughter of Hermann and Annie Neumann. Family treasures donated by the grandchildren of Hermann and Annie have contributed greatly to the authenticity of the museum. Furniture, photos and other items donated by the community are all relevant to either the Neumann family or the lifestyle of the community at the chosen time frame. The museum portrays the lifestyle, hobbies and business interests of the family, circa 1930