Australian National Botanic Gardens
The first trees at the gardens were planted in 1945. After a period of rapid development in the 1960s, the gardens were opened to the public in 1967. The gardens occupy about 40 hectares on Black Mountain and include a herbarium. The herbarium houses a large collection of pressed, dried plant specimens which are used for scientific research and as a reference for the identification of plants, including those growing at the gardens. The herbarium is not open to the public, except during special events. The gardens are also involved in research into the botany, biology and horticulture of Australian and related plants. The Friends of the Gardens are a community-based support group for the gardens. Members have the chance to meet others with a keen interest in plants and gardens and be involved in special activities. Training programs in horticulture are also run at the gardens and the Visitor Centre holds regular exhibitions.
100,000 (6,000 species) living Australian native plants. Herbarium specimens - 1,000,000 Australian and non - Australian. Photographs - 30,000 35mm slides of Australian plants and vegetation.