The Balmain Watchouse

The Watchouse is an old stone lockup designed by the Government Architect Edmund Blackett and built in 1854. It houses a museum with a permanent display cell on the history of the Balmain peninsula, a photographic collection and a resource centre for local and genealogical inquiries about people, places and events on the peninsula. An exhibition space comprising three cells, the charge room, lobby and part of the former kitchen is available for hire.