Southern Cross and Yilgarn District History Museum

We are the first town in established in the Eastern Goldfields. Gold being first discovered in 1888 is still being mined. We are also a large grain and wool producing area. There are some of Hunts Wells/soaks to be seen, and we are part of the Golden Pipeline. The Museum is situated in the old Courthouse and Mining Registrars Offices.

This building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields.

It is contained in the block of government buildings, which comprised Court House, Mining Registrar offices and Residence, and Post Office and Residence.

Construction commenced in 1892.

The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks, dried in the sun, and bound with mud. The roof was supported by round bush timbers, smoothed with an adze to take the cross pieces. Some of the original timber may be seen under the eaves of the room on the back verandah.

1952 Mining Registrars Residence demolished.

1972 Petition organized by the Historical Society saved the Courthouse and Offices from demolition.

1975 Courthouse and Offices vacated and vested in Yilgarn Historical Society for the purpose of a museum.

1979 Yilgarn History Museum officially opened by His Excellency Governor of W.A. Sir Wallace Kyle GCB, KCVO,CBE,DSO,DFC, K.St.J. This Courthouse has been left in its original format.

Collections

Mining, Agricultural, and Domestic collections, also Coins, Medical, Military, and Aboriginal displays