Australian Tennis Museum

The Australian Tennis Museum (NSW) originated in 1983, when several tennis enthusiasts approached Tennis NSW with a proposal to collect and preserve Australian tennis memorabilia. The Friends of the NSW Tennis Association Inc. (The Friends) was established at White City with the support of Tennis NSW and Tennis Australia.

Australasian Lawn Tennis advertisement, 1923, from the ATM collection.

For the next six years The Friends operated out of one room which served as a museum, storage area, library and workroom. Exhibitions were staged during major tournaments and visitor and membership numbers steadily increased.

In 1989 The Friends moved to a larger area located under the new Western Stand constructed at White City. Exhibition development and research continued and The Friends developed travelling exhibitions for regional areas and liaised with other museum and sport institutions to provide object loans and research material.

In 2005, the Australian Tennis Museum moved to the new facilities provided by Tennis NSW at the Sydney International Tennis Centre, Sydney Olympic Park. The museum design was developed by Hewitt Pender Associates.

The Museum was officially opened on January 9th 2005 by the Honourable Sandra Nori, MP, Minister for Tourism and Sport and Recreation.

Collections

Includes tennis equipment, trophies, clothing, photographs, programmes, books and other related memorabilia.