The Kyneton Museum collection is housed in a group of buildings, the most substantial of which was built in 1856 from local bluestone for the infant Bank of New South Wales. The branch was opened to service miners of the region's goldfields. Original outbuildings include kitchens, celler and stables, and these have been augmented by various outbuildings including an original settlers cottage which was relocated here in 1970. The outbuildings house the extensive agricultural display, whilst the kitchen and laundry show authentic household utensils. An original settler's cottage 'Theaden' is furnished to illustrate the poverty of working class living conditions which are a strong, complete contrast to the conditions enjoyed by those living in the Bank Manager's residence in the main building.
The Kyneton Museum houses a Social History Collection of high quality which has been donated by local residents over the past 30+ years. The criteria for the collection is that items must have been owned and used by local residents, and our cut-off date is 1930. The collection includes textiles, especially clothing and craftwork; all manner of household furnishings; art works; agricultural and trade tools and equipment; and horsedrawn vehicles.