Mercy Heritage Centre
Since their arrival in Brisbane on 10th May 1861, the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation have established a variety of significant health, education, and social welfare programs throughout the state - from Townsville in the north, to Roma in the west, and south to Stanthorpe on the border - and ministries in Papua New Guinea and other overseas locations. The Mercy Heritage Centre is dedicated to preserving the work of the Mercy Sisters, and their well-provenanced history, and maintains collections of relevant artefacts.
Separate but related collections are held by the Congregation Archives, Mater Hospital Archives and Heritage Centre, and All Hallows' School Archives.
Over 25,000 objects and archival records which relate to the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation, from 1861 to the present. The collection encompasses material in these and other categories: education at a number of schools and other institutions; social welfare programs and institutions; medicine and health at the Mater Hospitals; ministries in Papua New Guinea and other overseas countries; artwork; furniture; photographs; correspondence; and of course religion and women.