Explore life as we know it at Melbourne Museum. From Victoria's unique natural environment to our diverse cultures, our history and our icons.
Be inspired. Be surprised.
Melbourne Museum is one of the dynamic museums operated by Museum Victoria, Australia's largest public museum organisation.
Enjoyed by close to 700,000 visitors each year, Melbourne Museum is one of Melbourne’s favourite cultural destinations. Melbourne Museum’s exhibitions and events have a national and international focus, covering the natural and physical sciences as well as social history and cultures.
Highlights of Melbourne Museum include:
- Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Centre: Celebrate Victoria's Koorie culture;
- The Melbourne Story exhibition: Explore Melbourne's unique and changing tale. Discover the icons and personalities that shaped Melbourne since the early 1800s;
- Phar Lap: Australia's greatest racehorse;
- The World Heritage Listed Royal Exhibition Building: adjacent to Melbourne Museum is the World Heritage Listed Royal Exhibition Building. Tours available and depart from Melbourne Museum;
- Bugs Alive exhibition: take a close look at live bugs, from stick insects to Red-back Spiders and honey bees;
- The Mind exhibition: journey into the mind and explore a world of emotions, thoughts, memories and dreams;
- Forest Gallery: walk through a living forest with resident wildlife;
- IMAX Theatre Melbourne: Experience the world's largest cinema format with a screen up to six storeys high. Films shown include documentaries and latest release movies screened in 2D and 3D formats.
16 million items (managed as approximately 2.1 million specimens/lots encompassing natural sciences, indigenous studies and social history collections)