Illawarra Historical Society
The Illawarra Historical Society established Illawarra Museum on 2 December, 1966, in the old Post & Telegraph Office (built 1882) at 11 Market Street, Wollongong.
The Illawarra Museum collection is held in the first purpose-built Post and Telegraph Museum in Wollongong (1882-1892). The Museum operates on a voluntary basis. The objects collected and displayed relate to Illawarra's past with particular emphasis on the years at the close of the 19th Century. The Society has a collection of over 9,000 photographs in custody of Wollongong City Library and has also published many books on local history. The collection presents a picture of pioneer life including settlement, education, agriculture, mining, transport and trade. The entrance room features a magnificent cedar Post Office counter and a video portrays the lifestyle and times of an early Postmaster.
The collection relates to the pioneers of Illawarra. In excess of 4000 items plus more than 9000 photographs merged with Wollongong City Library Collection. Social history story, furnished rooms relating to Postmaster and family working and living in a pre federation Post and Telegraph office