Queensland Maritime Museum
The Queensland Maritime Museum is located at the South Brisbane Dry Dock adjacent to the Goodwill Bridge. The Dry Dock is heritage listed and operated from 1881 to 1971. The Museum was granted
use of the site in 1973. In 1981 the Museum acquired the WW2 River Class frigate HMAS DIAMANTINA. The ship was commissioned in 1945 and served in the Pacific Theatre. Two surrender ceremonies were conducted aboard the ship in September 1945 at Nauru and Ocean Island. The ship was recommissioned by the RAN in 1950 and served until 1980 as an oceanographic and hydrographic research ship and was directly responsible for placing Australia at the forefront of knowledge of the Indian Ocean. Steam Tug Forceful was constructed in 1925 and served in the Port of Brisbane until 1970. The Museum acquired Forceful in 1971 and maintains it as the only operating coal-fired steam tug in the world. The Museum itself houses an extensive collection of maritime artefacts tracing the rich maritime heritage of Queensland. A research service on maritime history is provided.
Approximately 50,000 objects.
Lugger - Penguin
Steam Tug Forceful
Wooden sailing craft including skiffs and Miss Sandgate.
Bulwer Is Lighttower
Extensive lighthouse collection
20 thousand images of maritime operations
Construction plans of many ships.
5000 book library.
Extensive collection of maritime journals/publications.
2 Clifton guns