Sydney Trades Hall Association

Trades Hall was constructed as the home for unions in NSW, beginning in 1888. It was refurbished between 2004-2006 and houses an extensive collection of trade union banners, badges and a historic library.

May Day march Sydney 1970s. Printers and Miscellaneous Workers
  • Amalgamated Road Transport Workers Union of Australia, NSW branch banner
  • Federated Moulders, Metals Union of Australia
  • NSW Locomotive Enginedrivers, Firemen and Cleaners Assn banner
  • Tilelayers Union of NSW banner
  • Australian Plumbers and Gasfitters Employees Union banner
  • Federated Mining Employees Assn banner
  • Municipal Employees Union of NSW banner
  • Federated Ironworkers Assn of Australia, NSW branch banner
  • Builders' Labourers Federation banner (E Whitbread painter) 1907
  • Bridge and Wharf Carpenters Union banner (E. Whitbread, painter)
  • Goulburn & District 6 Hour Day Assn badge featuring B Chifley
  • Goulburn & District Six hour day badge
  • Sydney Eight Hour and Labour Demonstration 1855-1905 badge
  • Sydney Eight Hour and Labour Demonstration Diamond Jubilee 1915 badge
  • Freemantle Lumpers Union badge
  • Miscellaneous Workers Union of Australia life members badge
  • Miscellaneous Workers Union NSW branch badge
  • Australian Letter Carriers Assn badge
  • Boot Opertors and Rough Stuff Cutters Union of NSW (est. 1902) badge
  • Small tenants directory restored on Level 1
  • Sydney Trades Hall Mural by Birgitte Hansen (2006) detail 3rd panel
  • Trades Hall Mural by Birgitte Hansen (2006) detail 3rd panel
  • Sydney Stonemasons banner (reverse) early 1900s
  • Sydney Stonemasons banner early 1900s
  • Operative Society of Stonemasons (Sydney) branch box from late 1800s
  • Sydney Trades Hall Library (as created 1915) 2007
  • Sydney Trades Hall Mural by Birgitte Hansen (2006) detail Ist panel
  • Sydney Trades Hall Mural by Birgitte Hansen (2006) Detail
  • Switch used by Jack Lang to open 2KY (Labor Council radio station) studios, 1932

Collections

The library covers trades, politics, history and sciences collected from the early 20th century, plus an ongoing research collection. Banners date from 1880s, as do the badges and photographs. The building has many conserved historic signs and architectural features.