Ayers House Museum - The National Trust of South Australia
Ayers House Museum is the former home of nineteenth century businessman, entrepreneur and seven times Premier of South Australia, Sir Henry Ayers.
Built over a twenty year period from 1855, Ayers House is today the last remaining grand mansion of North Terrace and a prime example of colonial architecture. Of major interest are the ornate, hand-painted finishes on the walls and ceilings of all rooms, the large reception rooms designed for entertaining and the external symmetry of the house with its two matching bow windows.
The National Trust is responsible for managing this historic property and has brought together a superb collection of Victorian furniture, decorative arts and artwork to recreate a visual display of nineteenth century colonial life, both "above and below" stairs.
Ayers House Museum contains an extensive collection of nineteenth cenutry furniture, decorative arts, silver and artwork. It also houses a nationally significant costume collection primarly dating from the nineteeth century but also including some examples of Edwardian and 1920s costume.