Hutchins Archives and Heritage Collection
The Hutchins School, established in Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, in 1846, has a proud history as one of Australia’s oldest independent schools for boys.
The School commenced operations under Headmaster J. R. Buckland at Ingle Hall, a large Georgian house which still stands in lower Macquarie Street, Hobart. Three years later it moved a few blocks up Macquarie Street to a handsome, purpose-built school designed by Tasmanian architect, William Archer.
By the 1950’s the School was growing too large for this inner-city site and a new Junior School was built on an elevated site overlooking the River Derwent at Sandy Bay. The Senior School followed later, constructed on the adjacent site of the former Queenborough Cemetery. The Macquarie Street building was sold in 1965, with Hutchins commencing full operations at Sandy Bay the following year.
Hutchins strives to provide an inspirational education where each boy develops his personal best, in an Anglican school whose supportive, stimulating community works together to build character of boys.
Items in the Hutchins Archives and Heritage Collection have been accumulated and preserved since the death in 1841 of William Hutchins, first Archdeacon of Van Diemen's Land, in whose memory the School was founded. The Collection comprises documents and photographs, artworks and furniture, trophies, uniforms and memorabilia, as well as a significant collection of audio-visual materials. The items relate to the history of the School as an educational institution for boys and its place in the history of Tasmania, as well as to that of education in general.
Significant items include:
*long case clock made by James Todd in 1784
*1837 bell from Horton College, Ross (1855-93)
*Bishop of Tasmania's letter book, 1841, containing the names of and correspondence with prominent citizens who contributed to the Archdeacon Hutchins Memorial Fund
*William Archer's 1847 plans of the Macquarie Street school and his 1853 plans of the Hobart High School
*Costantini painting of the first Hutchins pupil, Charles Grace Greig
*coins buried in a time capsule in 1847
*silk academic award, 1887; silk prize list, 1890; silk athletics sports programme, 1891
*sterling silver Watchorn Challenge Cup, first presented in 1912 for inter-squadron rifle-shooting competition, 22nd Light Horse Regiment, Tasmania
*furniture and honour boards made and presented by noted Tasmanian wood-carver, Ellen Nora Payne
*programme for the Australian Peace Celebrations, 1919
A programme of digitisation of the Collection has commenced, ensuring the progressive availability of online access.