Bass & Flinders Centre

The Bass and Flinders Centre is a tribute to wooden boats and northern tasmania. It is the home of the sloop Norfolk, that was built to commemorate the journey of Matthew Flinders and George Bass to Tasmania in 1798 and to mirror all the sailings done by hem.

Matthew Flinders
  • The Deck of the Norfolk


The full sized Huon pine replica of Flinders sloop Norfolk has pride of place in the museum. The replica of Kelly's whaleboat, also in Huon pine, hangs gracefully for all to see. Other dinghies, sculls, old surf boards are also in the fleet.