The Old Observatory
This stately heritage building, constructed in 1897, sits high atop Mt. Eliza, a prominent piece of land commanding a fine view over Perth and the Swan River. Colonial Architect George Temple-Poole designed The Old Observatory. Originally both a working office for the first Government Astronomer, W.E. Cooke, and a family residence of grand proportions, the property now serves as the headquarters of the National Trust in Western Australia. The Old Observatory is an imposing red brick building, its most striking architectural feature comprising of two semi-circular verandahs on the ground and first floors.