The Museum is centred around a Georgian brick cottage built on site in 1864. Approximately one-third of Ban Ban Station homestead was moved to the complex plus a small country school. The collection includes a wide variety of household and farm equipment. A main attraction are the steam engines and saw mill, all in working order. These are shown working several times each year.
The Gayndah Museum operated by the Gayndah and District Historical Society Inc. is housed in what was the very first brick house built in Gayndah and our displays let you see what family life was like in rural Queensland during the second half of the 19th Century.
We also have an extensive collection of photographs taken during the early days of Gayndah and they provide a chance to look at the way the township functioned and the people interacted with one another.
Many of the photos in our collection depict life on the land when much of the hard work was done by men and horses.
3,500 items plus 2,800 photographs