Albany Convict Gaol
Albany Convict Gaol 1852
A complex of mens cell blocks and some warders quarters built in 1852 for Imperial convicts shipped to WA as artisans and skilled labourers. Women?s cells, the Great Hall and more warders quarters were constructed of brick 1872-1875. At this time the complex was also used as a colonial prison. It was last used as a police lockup in the Great depression of the 1930's. Extensive restoration from 1989 to 1996 returned the Gaol's condition to its original state. Cells, warders quarters and the Great Hall contain appropriate displays.