National Gallery of Victoria (NGV)
Since 1861, the National Gallery of Victoria has been displaying art works for the enjoyment of the community. In the mid-1990s, the gallery acknowledged that its St Kilda Road building could no longer successfully meet the demands of its growing collection and extensive exhibitions schedule.
The Victorian State Government agreed to an extensive redevelopment of the site, and also contribute towards the funding of a second NGV building at Federation Square.
The Collection is split between The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia at Federation Square, home of Australian art, and NGV International at St Kilda Road, the redeveloped building dedicated to the gallery's magnificent international artworks. Our visitors have two wonderful NGV buildings dedicated to bringing art and people together.
The National Gallery of Victoria's collection encompasses all major media from antiquity through to contemporary art. The Gallery's collection provides a framework of the history of world art as well as a survey of the finest works of indigenous and non-indigenous artists.