Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society
The Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society holds a local history collection, housed in the former Port Melbourne Town Hall (1882). As this area drastically alters, physically, demographically and politically, we endeavour to protect and preserve the heritage and identity of this port settlement. We collect items only related to Sandridge/Port Melbourne as defined by the boundaries at 1 January 1994. Totally voluntary and still cataloguing, we are open to the public only by appointment. Although we have no museum area, each year we curate at least one major public exhibition from the collection. Being unstaffed, we are not well equipped to deal with queries.
The collection of some 3,000 items includes many photographic images (some original); Sandridge Borough Council documents and plans, primarily 19 Century, eg valuation books 1860 - 1905, early council committee minutes etc.;books, theses and oral history on the area; records of community organisations and sporting clubs; archives and images related to recent major development; local pawnbroker records from 1890's depression; maritime and ecclesiastical content e.g. objects/documents/photos from station pier, Holy Trinity Anglican and 1937 Missions to Seamen; Holy Trinity Anglican and St Joseph's Roman Catholic baptismal/marriage records on database.