Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Museum
The museum is a specialist medical history museum which is housed in College House; two linked Victorian buildings located opposite the Fitzroy Gardens on the edge of the city of Melbourne. The museum has existed in various forms since 1954. In 1996, renovations at the College provided a dedicated space for the museum, which was officially opened in October 1997 by Professor Bryan Hibbard, Curator of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Museum in London.
The focus of the collection is the history of obstetrics and gynaecology in Australia and the contribution of this to the advancement of women's health. Its strength is the collection of obstetric and gynacological instruments, including an important representative collection of obstetric forceps, the earliest dating from c1750. Other important elements include the contraceptive collection, items of early drug company ephemera and an infant feeding bottle collection.