Maritime Museum of Tasmania Inc.
The Maritime Museum of Tasmania is housed in Hobart's Carnegie Library Building. It is appropriately sited diagonally opposite Constitution Dock, that welcome haven for yachts competing in the annual Sydney-Hobart yacht race. The Museum is largely run by volunteers.
On the ground floor are two galleries with thematic displays on Tasmania's maritime history and a museum shop. Upstairs are offices, a library and storage areas. The Museum is actively involved in fostering an appreciation of Maritime History in Tasmania, it offers pre booked guided tours of the dock area, and staff are available to answer enquiries.
The Museum has a fine collection of artefacts relating specifically to the maritime history of Tasmania as well as items of general maritime interest. The exhibition, "Maritime Tasmania" was opened by the Queen in March 2000. It covers themes such as the early reconnaissance of Tasmania, whaling and the keen role of ketches in linking Tasmanian communities.
The story of the Derwent River ferries is told using a wonderful collection of ferry models made by a member of the O'May family which for three generations and one hundred years ran a Derwent River ferry service. Other intriguing artefacts on display are a large eagle sternboard from the 1860s American whaler "Islander", and the companionway hatch from the Otago, once captained by writer Joseph Conrad. An item of great local significance is a convict built dinghy. This was given as a wedding present in 1871 to the wife of John Wilson, ex master shipwright at Port Arthur and founder of Wilson shipyards at Cygnet
A regular programme of temporary displays is presented. Recent exhibitions have included a Maritime Art Prize, an exhibition on the French Exploration of Tasmania and an exhibition tracing the development of the Sullivans Cove waterfront of Hobart. The Museum also has many items in storage including a large photographic collection, which can be drawn upon to answer queries and provide information to the public.