Bruny Island Courthouse History Room
Our History Room is approximately 3/4 of an hour travel time from the Ferry Terminal Centrally located in Alonnah. The "Old Court House" was built in 1938 and was used as a Court of Petty Sessions until the 1970's and for Council meetings until 1993. The Bruny History Collection was established in 1988 and the History Room opened in 1997. The History Room provides a venue for the community and visiting public to peruse information on Bruny Island's history with subjects arranged in alphabetical order including Aboriginal History, Convicts, Family Trees, Industries, schools, Wars and many others. Visitors are encouraged to select a folder of interest and sit in the comfortable main room to browse at their leisure.
The collection contains items of yesteryear, local community archival records and photographs including a comprehensive display of Local Government items and information about Wardens, Clerks, Councillors. There is also information about the stabilisation of St. Peters Church which was undertaken in 2002/3. The Church was built c.1846.