Calala Cottage 'beehive' school, originally built at nearby Moonbi, was relocated to its present site in 1984 by the Rotary Club of Tamworth West.
With its distinctly curved roof, the one-room, weatherboard school contains original, deeply gouged desks which tell stories of their own. Inkwells, slates and wide, ink-stained floorboards are all reminders of school in a different era. There is even a horse rail in front of the small verandah.
The museum complex is made up of a cottage built by the first Mayor of Tamworth in 1875 adjacent to a vertical slab shepherd's hut (ca1845), both on their original sites. The Mayor was Philip Gidley King, superintendent of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company (also at times known as the Australian Agricultural Co). King was the great grandson of the third Governor of New South Wales of the same name. Both buildings have been restored and conserved and furnished circa 1890s. They display memorabilia and bric-a-brac of historical interest in a garden setting.
Aprroximately 4,000 items