Narrabri Old Gaol Heritage Centre
Narrabri's old gaol is part of an impressive complex of colonial government buildings which also includes the office of the court of petty sessions and the court house. The architect for this complex, James Barnet, also designed the Sydney General Post Office. The gaol opened in September 1882 and operated as such for exactly 100 years. It now provides an interesting insight to how things were in the past. The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings. They consist mainly of historical items associated with life in the town of Narrabri and surrounding district.
100,000+ file reference cards to local people, photographs, local newspapers from late 1800s and on microfilm, World War memorabilia, family history records, and burial records. Members of the Narrabri Historical Society who run the Old Gaol Heritage Centre, have indexed over 30,000 entries in its family history section. The centre also contains artefacts of historical, archival and cultural significance to the area.