The Turkist Bath Museum
The Turkish Bath Museum, having been built in the 1880's by Richard Wynne, a founder of Mt Wilson and the benefactor for the Wynne Art Prize for Landscape and Sculpture, is situated on a hill facing north overlooking the Blue Mountains National Park and is part of the heritage estate of 'Wynstay' which is listed on the State Heritage Register. The Museum is also on the National Heritage register. Now partly conserved, it is a stylish building with beautifully stained and hand painted glass windows, polychrome brick work, Italianate decoration and an elaborate turret. Although there is only a small area for display, the Mount Wilson & Mt Irvine Historical Society Inc features exhibitions related to Mt Wilson and Mt Irvine history, archaeology and the operation of the Turkish Bath.
Mount Wilson and Mt Irvine are very small communities and the collection reflects this. There is some original material such as early written records of organisations like the Progress Association, the Bushfire Brigade and the C.W.A. The photographic collection (mainly copies) is its strength. Its library has a collection audio taped interviews with descendents of early settlers. Recently it has acquired copies of material associated with Charles R. Scrivener, the first Commonwealth Director of Lands and Surveys and an outstanding Surveyor in NSW who surveyed Mt Irvine in 1897 and Canberra and the A.C.T. in the first decade of the 20th Century.