Maclean District Historical Society Inc

The Museum, built in the Bicentennial Year, 1988, is connected by a pathway to the southern entrance which opens into a mezzanine floor where the displays are in large glass cases or on an open plan. Visitors can view the ground floor level where large items such as a tractor, sulkies, drays, cane carts and farm equipment are exhibited. The two floors are connected by an internal stairway. An attractive mural by Linda El Mir depicting aspects of the cane industry adds to the interest of the ground floor. A strong room allows for achivally stored photos and documents and a work area downstairs allows for the voluntary staff to spend many hours on conservation and repair work.

A specially prepared album of photos is available for handicapped visitors.

The Shop

A small area displays our current publications for sale as well as souvenir type items, jams, pickles and second hand books. The purchase of even the smallest item helps our funds.

Collections

Located on the Mezzanine level is the Research area with the following resources; Microfiche of N.S.W. and some Queensland Births, Deaths and Marriages and microfilm of newspapers of the Clarence and Richmond Examiner (1859-1950), the Daily Examiner (1915 -1951), the Argus and Clarence River Advocates (1898-1908) plus a broken range of single issues. Appropriate readers are available.

For information on local families and organizations a card file system is available. Consisting of some 20,000 cards and regularly updated, the information is being transferred to a computer date base and printouts will be available for a reasonable fee.

A collection of over 7000 photographs is housed on site and will also be transferred to computer. Photocopies can be made or photographic copies can be arranged (cost on application).

Newspaper cuttings and a variety of documents are stored in filing cabinets with the material in cardboard wallets alphabetically arranged for easy access and dealing with people, buildings, organizations and subjects like fishing, shipping, sport etc. Maps, plans, posters etc. are stored flat in large drawers.

The Research Library includes books on Genealogy, Local History, Church, Scottish and Irish History, Photography, Costumes, Bottles etc. together with Newsletters and Literature from many Government Departments and Local and Family History Societies.

Research can be conducted personally at a charge of $20.00 per session (plus photocopying and print out costs) with assistance from staff as required. A written request with a $20.00 initial fee will be dealt with promptly. email us >macleanhistory@yahoo.com.au