Wollongong City Gallery
Wollongong City Gallery is one of the largest regional art museums in Australia. The dynamic exhibition program features the Gallery's permanent collection as well as temporary exhibitions which change monthly and include local, national and international art. The Gallery occupies the former city council administration building, which was officially opened in 1952, and was converted into an art gallery in 1991. The floor plan of the building evokes the shape of a jewelled crown, commemorating the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Workshops, tours and children’s activities available.
Wollongong City Gallery's permanent collection of approximately 1900 works encompasses three main areas. The collection of colonial Australian art provides an unparalleled visual documentation of the history of the Illawarra region over the past 150 years, and includes works by Eugene von Guerard, Tom Roberts, Conrad Martens and many others. The collection of Aboriginal and Indigenous Australian art features traditional works from regions around Australia and a strong representation of the local area, with a developing collection of contemporary Aboriginal works. The contemporary Australian collection includes such prominent artists as Arthur Boyd, Brett Whitelyu, Colin Lanceley and Garry Shead, and also includes a strong representation of contemporary Illawarra artists.