Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls. The kitchen features a pine dresser and many household gadgets such as candle moulds, mincers, sausage makers, coffee grinder, and a hand made rat trap. The nursery holds children's clothes, a cot, bed and a child's push chair from the Criddle family. The bedroom displays many articles including hand made night gowns and petticoats. The side verandah houses a collection of tools and farm implements. The Irwin District Historical Society has another msueum, housed in the Old Police Station at Dongara. See separate Guide listing.
A Yeoman's cottage of the day, furnished with items and utensils used in the district in the late 1800's.